Saturday 15 October 2011

Growing up...fast

Today I gave my 7 year old a knife.

At 7am we had a lesson this morning before school on how to use a knife, how to open the blade, how to slice, and mainly how not to cut yourself.

No, he doesn’t have to defend himself, and it’s not part of the school curriculum, he’s off on a scout trip this afternoon.  Not just any old trip – a trip away for 2 nights in the mountains staying in a Chalupa (a kind of wooden large building).  Did I mention he’s going on his own?  No parents in sight.



In fact both my kids are going away this weekend with their respective scout’s groups, not together it’s just by chance the trips are at the same time.

It’s utterly terrifying for me. 

It’s utterly thrilling for them.

I can't but admire how brave they are.  Kids just go for it, thankfully they aren't like adults who worry and think about things to much.  Kids just do it.  Yes, there is a little apprehension and excitement mixed in with fear, but they are going off in an all czech speaking environment, doing something they have never done before, with a group of kids they've only known for a few weeks.  It's amazing really.

I’m a wreck just packing for them (in fact most Czech parents at this point aren’t even packing for their kids they are probably doing it themselves).  These Czech kids, I don’t know, they are so independent (walk to school alone, let themselves in at home alone, help around the house).  In some ways it’s amazing and what I want my children to experience., but just not quite so suddenly. 

On their list of things to take – sleeping bag, bedding roll, pan for cooking, cutlery, rope and a sharp knife, spare clothes, walking boots, and a 2 bus tickets!  

No health and safety malarkey, no mollycoddling, no fuss.


Here are my babies trying to carry their heavy rucksacs (pains my heart)  

Both my kids also have mobile phones, even my youngest.  Shock, horror, gasp!  It’s the norm here, I suppose that’s what you get when you have kids walking around on their own, going away for weekends alone and catching the bus without the watchful eye of parents.

I was trying not to cry when I said goodbye.  First my eldest with her group, and then my son.

- I’ll call you in a few hours ok?   (or maybe in 10 minutes if I can even wait that long)

- Don’t call me mummy, I’ll just text you.

Oh my god, oh my god.  Growing up. 




  

No comments:

Post a Comment