Thursday 1 September 2011

shoes....and school shoes...


Czech’s have a funny thing about shoes.

My husband is well known for wearing his socks and sandals rain or shine, and we’ve even seen them out in the depths of winter when it’s been snowing.  But now that I’m here I can put it all in context, I’m in the the land of socks and sandals – he blends in perfectly.

Even the Lego statue in the mall had socks and sandals…











The other thing Czech’s do is take their shoes off when they get to the door and put on their 'bačkory', essentially ‘slippers’ or indoor shoes. When you go to someone’s house there are a pile of bačkory, and you just put a pair on, whether they really fit or not, usually they don’t and you flop around in a pair of ugly shoes until you leave.

Bačkory were also on our school list, as the kids have to also change shoes when they get to school.  When our daughter saw the choice in the shops she was horror struck.


‘Why would I be seen dead in a pair of old man’s slippers?’ she demanded.


I agreed completely, but I probably shouldn’t have done because I then had a battle trying to get her in a pair before school started today. After trudging around various shoe stores we eventually settled on these as a compromise.


There are very definite differences here between an outdoor shoe, and an indoor shoe and never the twain shall meet. I prefer to go barefoot myself…



First Day at School

Was a joke…the kids had ONE HOUR, yes one hour of lessons then they could go home!  I opted for them to stay in the after school club until 12pm and picked them up then so they could at least get used to being there.

Tomorrow school is TWO HOURS LONG!!  

I think (hope) it’s normal school next week because it’s quite confusing.  On the positive side both kids came out happy and seemed normal and unstressed, unlike their mother who spend the morning moving furniture around obsessively and worrying....


No comments:

Post a Comment