Tuesday 6 September 2011

Downer...


Every up must have a down

Today, I’m feeling very flat.  I think the euphoria and excitement of moving has worn off slightly and I feel a bit like up the creek without a paddle (or really up shit creek without a paddle)
It started yesterday morning when I saw my youngest slope off into his classroom and sit there alone while the other kids chatted to each other.  It’s always heartbreaking seeing your kids left out, I know it’s only 3rd day of school but….it’s soooo hard watching them go through this transition.  None of them are complaining and happily go to school so I should take a leaf out of their book but it’s incredibly hard.


I think the kids have noticed that mummy is losing the plot a bit too because they are acting up and seeing what they can get away with.   They may look sweet and innocent here, but siblings have a wonderful way of pushing each other’s buttons (and mine).  It’s worse than fighting, it’s that annoying, pernickerty way (you moved my things, you touched my arm, you ...you breathed on me ) grrrr I wish they would just slug it out in the ring and be done with it….

We also saw friends on Skype – which seems like a wonderful idea at the time, but then you are reminded of home, and actually you’d really rather prefer to be in their kitchen having a coffee and chatting face to face and the kids can run off and play.  I’m definitely missing home : (

And to compound it all, husband is flying back to London tomorrow for 10 days!

How will I cope?

- Found the Czech/English dictionary in the bottom of a box
- Google translate is on my desktop
- Or I could just hide for about 10 days but that might be difficult as I have to take the children to school and we might go a bit stir crazy at home

I've also had enough of shopping.  
I have to go everyday it seems to buy something more for the kids to take to school.  The first list I’m beginning to realise was just a teaser, an introduction – since then we come home with more requests, more money for books, for supplies, more toilet paper!  I think I’ve supplied enough toilet paper, paper napkins, and packs of tissue for the whole of the Czech republic to shit for a year!


The headteacher and her assistant took us aside today to ask if we were all ok, ‘how are you liking the school?’ she enquired in Czech to me as I had a stack of loo rolls in my hand.  ‘Yes good’ I nodded politely.



But, although I feel incredibly frustrated trying to find our way around and trying to understand the Czech school system there are some really good things.  I thought I would hate getting kids to school by 7.45am, but actually if you’re a working parent everyone can take their kids to school and then leave for work, there is really cheap after school care that the school provides onsite for everyone as a matter of course. It’s so much more geared to helping parents.  

Also on a positive note, my son’s class teacher just informed us there will be swimming once a week, brilliant! 

And my daughter's class have a pet mouse which she is thrilled about...

yipeeeeeee health and safety hasn't reached here yet!!





2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! A new country always has its ups and downs - especially in the beginning when you've yet to build friendships. Just think "it could always be worse - we could be here in 1981!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are right Diana! And I would be waiting in line to buy toilet paper!! xxx

    ReplyDelete