Tuesday 6 December 2011

Cool head, warm heart

On Friday my daughter was rejected from the Christmas concert.

She played out of rhythm on the piano and so the teacher told her in no uncertain terms that she couldn’t play.

I think my daughter was a bit shocked.

To tell you the truth so was I.

I’m still not quite used to the direct way in which Czech teachers operate. 

I have to smile when I think about how the mums in our old school in London would take the news that their 9 year old had been unceremoniously dumped from the Christmas concert because they played The Entertainer too fast.       


They would be up in arms.

There would be outrage.

Frankly the headteacher would be hung drawn and quartered, or at least be asked to step down ; )

Instead we have to take it in our stride, and laugh with the kids about how things are different here.

Thank the Lord…the kids have been doing super well in class (phew, can you imagine otherwise?...I shudder to think).  In fact both were given something called a ‘Pochval’, a certificate of praise, it was a real surprise for all of us, including the kids, when they received it so that was nice.

But even funnier was that even though the kids both scored an average of 1 (the highest grade) on their certificates, the comments written by the teachers weren't full of superlatives and praise, ‘excellent work, great job, brilliant effort’ -  instead there was a brief mention on how they are doing well, but then a list of ways in which they could improve!   

Czechs aren’t known for their smiles and warmth, even though underneath they have a heart of gold - it takes quite a while for the icy exterior to melt. 
However, once they get to know you they will do anything for you.

And it always amazes me how much they do help each other.  I often think it’s something really missing from our Western European lives, the ability to help each other without blinking an eye, a sort of community spirit amongst friends and rellies.  For example, it’s really common for women to go back to work and Grandparents are the main carers here, if you need something done like plumbing you call a friend not a professional.  You never pay anyone, maybe you'll cook them a meal, give them a bottle, or return the favour someday but it's not expected.

I used to get annoyed when my husband would announce a friend of a friend of a friend was suddenly coming to stay on our sofa bed for god knows how long.... but now I’m used to it and I realise that it's really nice to have that support, and maybe it comes from communist era when times were tough and you shared what you had, whether it was a skill or a floor to crash on....I don't know.


One thing I do know though is that it can take a bloomin' long time to pierce that cool facade....

But I should be celebrating.  One mum asked me for a coffee last week... Hurrah!  It only took 3 months ; )


No comments:

Post a Comment