Saturday 31 March 2012

Easter traditions

Here we go again.


As if the Christmas crafts weren't enough, the Czechs are at it again - and this time it's for Easter.


Beautiful hand painted eggs, home-made flower decorations, and hand crafted Easter symbols.

The magazine I freelance for asked me to write an article about in Easter in the UK, how we celebrate and in particular my most memorable Easter.  I had to own up, Easter just isn't that big a deal back at home - mostly it involves stuffing your face with more chocolate in a few days that you would normally consume in a year.  Nowadays I do an Easter egg hunt for the kids, but that's a recent import from the USA.

At a push I can remember one particular Easter when I told my younger sister that Creme Eggs were made from real eggs (which she hates) so she gave me all 6 of her eggs, upping my stash to 12.  Years later I confessed....but I'm not sure that's what they really meant by memorable.

On the other hand celebrating Easter is incredibly popular here. There are decorations and Easter markets everywhere -  maybe it's because the tradition is enjoying a revival post communism when most religous festivals were stamped out, or perhaps it's just because the Czechs are so desperate to celebrate the arrival of spring after a harsh winter.

Either way I really like the fact that Easter means something here, it's nice to celebrate it, decorate the house and do something other than eat chocolate.


Kids finish school on 'ugly Wednesday', 'Green Thursday' and 'Good Friday' are holidays then on Easter Sunday the boys get making their 'pomlaska' a kind of whip made from willow branches, while the girls get decorating their special eggs called, 'kraslice'.

Yes....boys make a whip out of fresh willow branches and girls sit at home painting beautiful eggs for them.


The boys come around on Easter Monday and whip the girls and in return they get given these intricate hand crafted eggs, - and if you're old enough you get a shot of alcohol too!

What to say to your 7 year old son who's eyes light up at the thought of whipping his older sister? Or to your daughter who protests about how unfair it is?

Hmmm.  How to explain this very ancient fertility ritual thought to bring health and youth to the fair maidens of the village?  The politically correct brigade would implode.

Luckily for the girls feminism has kicked in a little bit these days and they are allowed to retaliate after Easter and throw cold water at the boys (to quosh their testosterone perhaps??).

All I know is that in our house it's going to cause a huge amount of trouble....and there's going be some very wet boys!


No comments:

Post a Comment